So I tried out Opera Unite, and here are my first impressions:
- The Opera Unite proxy that allows you to serve even behind a firewall, very nifty. Even experienced SysAdmin's have a hard time with this in some cases. The Opera Unite solution Just Works™.
- Works fine cross-browser (on the client side)
- No option to use Opera Unite with your own domain or proxy (very proprietary to me)
- No way to backup/sync collection of installed services.
- No real open social network framework features included, as I had hoped...
- PHP? Python? Java?
- The Opera Unite server simply is terminated when you close Opera, without warning! FAIL!
- No auto-update functionality for installed services
- Force-reinstall to reactivate a deleted service, huh?
Good idea for a Firefox Extension though... ;-) Oh wait! That allready exists (well except for the proxy part anyway)!